Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Why I No Longer Play Minecraft, and A Personal Thank You

Not my house, just as a little example
This is another game I meant to spotlight about two months ago, but seeing to my big bout of other random things to cover (since my audience seems to respond well to TF2 and League of Legend posts) I have since changed my normal posting schedule. But here it is, my favorite sandbox style game.

for those of you who can't guess the game from the picture on the right, I'll give you a hint. Its Terraria. Does that tell you which one it is? Yes, it is heavily inspired by Minecraft, but its not. Made by the minds at Re-Logic (a group with only two people in it) have taken the original free-play concept, and turned it into a 2d platform game. As a person who really hasn't been in touch with side-scrollers since the old days of the original Mario games on the NES, this was a pleasant surprise.

I've owned Terraria for around a year now, but I didn't really start get back into until about a week ago, when a few of my friends pulled me back into it. Since then, its been grabbing at more of my time, which is quite the challenge as I'm still trying to push my current unusuals into promos, which takes a lot of time. Terraria is undoubtedly a more combat oriented game, with the ideas of "leveling-up" (now in the form of collecting more hp and mana, to getting ore wealth to buy new weapons) to innovative bosses (The eye of Cthulu, wall of Flesh, the giant Skeletor looking beast) it all ends up being a fun experience for everyone, and by everyone I mean a server of 5 people.

Yes, this may be a fantastic way to spend a couple of spare hours while I cool down from a rage inducing round of Ranked of League of Legends, but it is a few steps off from perfect. I can name a couple of times that I cursed my garrpling hook for not going out farther, or myself for not taking the initiative to put down a few wooden platforms so I don't fall into lava, but thats human error. Anyone with half a mind (and a bit of creativity) should look into Terraria. With low graphical needs, its a great game to play on any computer. (I am certainly not suggesting work.)
--Santa

PS: I logged in yesterday to find that my post on the Jax updates had hit 90 views in a couple of days. I had no idea you like the Grandmaster so much, and this brought me over 500 total views, which I find to be just astounding in 5 short months of blogging. Thanks for all of you readers out there, and all of you who aren't just coming to see the pretty pictures. If you want to, vote in that pole, and I'll keep in mind what you guys want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment