Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Consoles: To Infinity, and Beyond!

As seen to the right, you can guess what this post is all about-- Random things that people think about the next generation of video games.

Yes, yes. I know. We have seen the Wii U, and the PS Vita. But, lets face it. Its been 7 years since both Sony and Microsoft have made something big. Big as in a console, and we all know the PC's never update (other than in components.) Yes, I suppose you could easily say the the 8th generation of consoles could be under way, but the question is, what can we expect?

I grew up Nintendo, became a hardcore Xbox fan-boy and have only recently learned the error of may ways. Broadening my horizons to two systems (PC and Xbox) so I can fulfill life to its fullest. Mostly because of TF2 and its hats. But, what can we expect from expect from the newest Xbox? Undoubtedly more Kinect (still stupid)  and probably Bluray, pushing us DVD users farther into the abyss. I don't want to end up like VHS (which I still use.) I do agree with the fact that it DOES look better, but it is infinitesimally slower than a DVD. Besides, they cost more and I don't want to spend more, the exact reason I don't own Kinect, other than the fact that if I wanted to make a fool out of myself I'd just buy the advanced Wii controller and start playing Wii Sports Resort (which I also don't own.) Kinect is slow, lacks the use of good games, and the entire reason I play games is to NOT do adventurous things lie, you know, fight criminals? If I was going to bowl, maybe I'd go to an actual bowling alley. It means a lot more to get an ACTUAL perfect game than to use a controller and do it. 

So, what does a new console need? Certainly it needs HD abilities, and high graphic needs, and multiplayer updates (think of MAG, I don't think it needs 256 players, but I do think that more than 16 would be nice in a supposed 'war game') Anymore, I think we're seeing graphics getting to as good as they're needed. I think there needs to be a shif it focus. I'd like to see more attention to details. Different rocks, dynamic snowfall, lighinting effects. Make the game FEEL real not LOOK real. Thats the next step in gaming.

--Santa

No comments:

Post a Comment