Saturday, April 21, 2012

Impressions-- Valve vs. Riot: Who wins?

If the Pyro was a character in dota 2, then I may have a better opinion of the game
I got the beta edition of Dota 2 from a friend of mine who wanted me to play it with him. This isn’t to say that I was exactly excited, since I wasn’t looking forward to the 2 hour download, but due to circumstances leading me to a Wi-Fi hotspot that gave me a blazing download speed of 2.6 mb/s during the download, I decided that I would give it a shot.

Downloading Dota 2 was an interesting experience for me. Valve is by far my favorite gaming company of all time; it goes hand-in-hand since they made TF2. But, I thought Riot, although sometimes I don’t agree with their updates, have done a fantastic job on League of Legends, so I didn’t quite see why Valve go into an arena where not only League of Legends, but HoN (heroes of Newerth) are already dominating. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of Dota, here’s a small history:

Beginning as a mod in Warcraft III, DOTA (Defense of the Ancients) became a widely popular game, and was the inspiration of Riot’s League of Legends, borrowing skills (in the setup of Q W E R) the leveling system, the idea of champions, the item shop, and many more aspects helped to inspire League of Legend. However, Valve has recently announced, and has now released a beta of their own version, a direct sequel of DOTA, named Dota 2.

I’ll get straight to my review, and it’s not good. I like to think of myself as an intelligent man, but figuring out how Dota 2 was supposed was one of the more frustrating things I’ve ever tried to do. This is based off of one game’s experience, but at the same time, my experience from League of Legends should have helped me a bit, and it doesn’t help much that my laptop was fighting back when I was playing along, stupid integrated graphics.

Getting right into the first game, I realized, that the champions were based of, and sorted by, the equivalences of defense, attack, and magic (speaking in LoL terms) with this in mind, I was  confused to see that immediately on spawn, when double-clicking on an item, it instead didn’t give me the item, it just let me look at the item in my “quick buy” slot, and I literally couldn’t figure out how to empty it, except for once, into my inventory. Now, I can appreciate this system if when you go back to spawn, you can just click a button, and bam! It goes right into your inventory. But, I think that double-clicking should be the easiest method to getting an item, this should be a one-step process.

The other major problem I had was mostly a bunch of small things. It wasn’t as refined as a Valve game should be. Valve can do better work that what I felt Dota 2 offered me, and although this may have come from only a small amount of time with the game, but even my first game of League of Legends was less frustrating than my first game of Dota 2, and that was a nightmare.

In a few weeks, I may revisit Dota with another post, when I have put a little more time into it. I do think it will be better, as I am pretty bad at most games when starting up on them, I won’t lie. But, I do think that Valve, if they do want to have a chance at beating out a market of FTP games with one you have to pay for, then they may want to make a few changes.

--Santa

No comments:

Post a Comment